A Walk in the Park

abcaines

Staff member
Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I went for a walk in the park taking pictures this afternoon and was looking to post those pictures in the 2023 colors thread but realized I would be totally hijacking that thread so I figured I'd start a new thread. Enjoy:

There’s one thread on here called “counting pictures,” but from what I can tell, it’s basically a bunch of copy & paste pictures, not actual photos taken by posters.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the story behind that thread? It’s got a ton of posts, but it seems to be on life support nowadays.

1000001060.jpg
1000001061.jpg1000001063.jpg
The walking path follows the rim of Skinner Canyon, a tributary which flows into the Clearwater River, approximately 700 below the level of the park.

The pale green trees in the bottom of the canyon are Russian olives which are classified as noxious weeds. They are water hogs which grow in low lying are areas where water collects. They produce millions of tiny yellow blossoms in mid June which fill the air with loads of pollen and a sweet pungent smell.

There’s one thread on here called “counting pictures,” but from what I can tell, it’s basically a bunch of copy & paste pictures, not actual photos taken by posters.
This thread started today.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the story behind that thread? It’s got a ton of posts, but it seems to be on life support nowadays.

It's pretty much exactly what it looks like: posting pictures with consecutive numbers in them. Just for fun, though a couple of users went a little obsessive with it.

1000001068.jpg1000001069.jpg
A hawthorn tree producing its brilliant red berries is a (visual) fall treat.

Edit: Thanks to Ransom for providing a bit more information. It got my interest up and I did a bit more research. This particular tree is a Washington hawthorn. The bright red berries are an important food source for birds and squirrels during the winter. Humans can eat them too (as Ransom pointed out) but avoid eating the seeds.

Last edited:
1000001059.jpg
Ginkgo trees are plentiful in the valley. Their fan shaped leaves turn a pale yellow as the weather cools. The ginkgo keeps most of its leaves until the first hard frost then dumps them all at once.

1000001066.jpg

A decorative plum with particularly vivid purple foliage...

View attachment 4664View attachment 4665
your hawthorn tree looks a lot like our native sandalwood trees... (or iliahi in hawaiian)... . the very fragrant trees are popular for making perfumes and incense... and they once blanketed entire sections of most islands here.... ... but were harvested to near extinction on all but the big island in the early 1900s.... they are still harvest on the big island ....but there are only a few left on a few of the other islands - (of which oahu is one).... ... and all are growing in remote areas at high elevation.... .

very few people here have ever seen them.... and even fewer would recongize what they look like when small or not fully grown... (i know this because some of the hunters i know have climbed through small groves of them without knowing what they were)...... i know where some of the groves on oahu are... all are on or near the tops of mountains with very steep and dangerous terrain - which is one reason very few people see them here... ...

this is a stock picture of a small sandalwood tree.... .... i have never taken pictures of the ones on this island myself

sandalwoodtreeshawaii.jpeg

sandalwoodtreess.jpeg

Not just a visual treat. I come from near Manitoulin Island in northern Ontario. The early settlers had to eat the indigenous hawberries to keep away scurvy, so the natives started calling them haweaters. (I have no idea where the Ojibwe got their vitamin C, if the haw-eating Europeans were such a source of humour.) Now "Haweater" is an affectionate nickname for non-indigenous people who come from the island.

Not just a visual treat. I come from near Manitoulin Island in northern Ontario. The early settlers had to eat the indigenous hawberries to keep away scurvy, so the natives started calling them haweaters. (I have no idea where the Ojibwe got their vitamin C, if the haw-eating Europeans were such a source of humour.) Now "Haweater" is an affectionate nickname for non-indigenous people who come from the island.
Interesting. I'll have to look into it more deeply.

1000001062.jpg
A wild rose with red pods. They typically flower through late spring and early summer with white blossoms.
It is related to the hawthorn
1000001071.jpg

Last edited:
A view out my front and back door

IMG_0909.jpeg

IMG_0905.jpeg

so that;s a sycamore.... ... but it doesn;t have any low branches....:unsure: .... how did a guy like a zachias ever climb one?....:confused:

That sycamore is actually a variety of maple that's indigenous to Europe. The biblical sycamore is actually related to the fig, and it does spread out a lot:

800px-Ficus_sycomorus_near_Segeneyti_Eritrea.jpg

That sycamore is actually a variety of maple that's indigenous to Europe. The biblical sycamore is actually related to the fig, and it does spread out a lot:

800px-Ficus_sycomorus_near_Segeneyti_Eritrea.jpg
ok..... well that makes sense then... ..it looks kinda like a much bigger version of the kukui tree i climbed several years ago to escape a wild pig that came after me..... thankfully it had a few low branches....

being vertically challenged myself i always had sympathy for zachias... ...and i more than understood his need to climb a tree..... ;)

hawaiian kukui tree

40a967d3f4ebfd360b8b2c31735c57a2.jpeg

Last edited:
We have sycamore trees all over the valley. Lots of shade from them. Most of them have enormous trunks; at least 4-5 feet in diameter. Also, if the sycamore is near an intersection, the trunk usually has a scar on it where a car had ran into it sometime in the past. Oak trees don't hold a candle to these sycamores for stopping errant traffic.